Received 15 January 2018
Currently, the only well-developed option for planet rovers is a wheeled locomotor as the most simple and effective. The choice of specific size of the rim and tire determines rover's flotation ability and energy source explotation efficiency.
It is possible to expand the range of application of the wheel by changing of the size of the wheel's rim. Therefore, the mechanism reconfiguring principle of a wheel locomotor for planetary vehicles was developed.
This article provides an overview of the existing reconfigurable wheels, and proposes the original design. The main characteristics are briefly considered; the benefits of the reconfiguration application are shown.
Planet rover, flotation ability, reconfigurable wheel.
Gogin, R. and Zarutsky, N. (2018). Development of reconfigurable wheeled locomotor for mobile robotic vehicles. Robotics and Technical Cybernetics, 1(18), pp.69-73.
- Kemurdzhian, A. and et al. (1993). Planetokhody [Planet Rovers]. 2nd ed. Moscow: Mashinostroenie Publ., p.400.
- Russian State Scientific Center for Robotics and Technical Cybernetics (2013). Razrabotka proektnogo oblika mobil'nogo gruzovogo manipulyatora dlya obsluzhivaniya elementov infrastruktury naplanetnoy (Lunnoy) bazy: otchet o NIR (zaklyuchitel'nyy) [Design Development of Mobile Cargo Manipulator for Maintenance of Infrastructure Elements of On-planet (Lunar) Base: Research report (final)]. p.98.
- Zongquan Deng, HaiboGao, Peng Zhang and Suojun Li (2009). Probe vehicle wheel with variable diameter elastically capable of automatic extension. CN101537770 (A): IPC B60B19/00; B60B9/02; B64G1/16.
- Naboko, V. (2004). Koleso s izmenyaemoy konfiguratsiey obvoda [Wheel with configurable profile]. RU2152880 (С1): МПК B60B19/00; B60F3/00.
- Jicheng Liu, Pengwei Chen, Senlong Tang, Shulin Liu, Xiaojun Zhou and YuyiZhai (2011). Single-power unfolding and driving integrated mobile robot wheel. CN102120404 (A) : IPC B60B19/00; B60K7/00.
- Duanling Li, Qizheng Liao, Shimin Wei, Hengwen Zhang, Weiqin Lin, Peng Li, CunweiZou, Zhenhua Zhang, Xingze Wang and Xi Xu (2008). Wheel with changeable wheel diameter. CN201333898 (Y) : IPC B60B19/00; B64G1/16.
- GOST 22653-77. Avtomobili. Parametry prokhodimosti. Terminy i opredeleniya [National Standard 22653-77. Automobiles. Flotation characteristics. Terms and definition]. (1978). Moscow: Izd-vo standartov [Publisher of Standards].
- Ministry of Motor Industry of the USSR (1977). RTM 37.001.039-77. Tipovaya programma i metody ispytaniy polnoprivodnykh avtomobiley na prokhodimost' [RTM 37.001.039-77. Standard program and flotation testing methods for all-wheel-drive vehicles].
- Saarilahti, M. (2002). Soil Interaction Model. University of Helsinki, Department of Forest Resource Management.