Received 4 July 2018
The issues of mitigation of the consequences of natural disasters, process of victims' search and rescue are considered. By the example of earthquakes in recent years, the real actions of groups of rescuers to search and help the victims, especially in the first hours after the disaster, were analyzed. Examples of the use of robots and unmanned vehicles in the past rescue operations are given. The tasks for further research related to the formation of rescue robot collectives and the organization of their control systems, taking into account specific characteristics of disasters, were stated.
Search and rescue operations, earthquake, robots, UAV, UGV, USV, UUV.
Nazarova, A. and Zhai, M. (2018). Problems of using robotic systems in earthquake rescue operations. Robotics and Technical Cybernetics, 3(20), pp.31-38.
- Liu Huijun and et al. (2009). The Research of Geological Disasters in Wenchuan County Before and After the '5.12' Earthquake. Journal of Geological Hazards and Environment Preservation, 20(2), pp.112-115. (in Chinese)
- Nytimes.com. (n.d.). Satellite Photos - Japan Before and After Tsunami. [online] Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html?mcubz=0 [Accessed 13 Apr. 2018].
- Xu Jianhua, Luo Ling and Li Jianhua (2014). Comparison of Rescue Operation of Wenchuan Earthquake and East Japan Earthquake. China Emergency Rescue, 5, pp.35-38. (in Chinese)
- European Centre on Prevention and Forecasting of Earthquakes (ECPFE) and the Earthquake Planning and Protection Organization of Greece (EPPO) (1999). Technical Handbook for Search & Rescue Operations in Earthquakes. 2nd ed. Athene.
- Yogesh, V. and Kharad, S. (2015). Review Paper on Search and Rescue Robot for Victims of Earthquake and Natural Calamities. International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, 3(4), pp.2037-2040.
- Pcpop.com. (2015). Drone and Robot. [online] Available at: http://www.pcpop.com/article/1504612.shtml [Accessed 25 May 2018].
- Jaskot, K., Sroka, M. and Nawrat, A. (2014). The Prototype of an Unmanned Underwater Vehicle – Mechanical Construction, the Operator Panel. Innovative Control Systems for Tracked Vehicle Platforms, pp.259-279.
- Stokey, R. and et al. (2005). Development of the REMUS 600 Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. In: Proceedings of OCEANS 2005 MTS/IEEE.