Received 30 July 2018
In this paper, a computer model simulating the movement of a deep-water cable (buoyrap) with end's load, in the case of uniform and non-uniform towing, is presented. Catenary curve of buoyrap in the steady-state fluid flow found in the computer modelling is compared with its analytical representation. For steady motion, it is shown that the analytical calculation of this curve coincides with high accuracy with the results of computer simulation carried out by authors in the ADAMS software package. The designed model allowed conducting of the reliable simulating of dynamic modes of buoyrap movement, which arise, for example, when the tug is circulated along a given circle. The main purpose of investigating the dynamics of buoyrap in this mode was to take into account the influence of the forces of attached liquid masses, in addition to the velocity forces of hydrodynamic resistance. Results of considering the forces of both classes show that, in describing the transient dynamical modes of buoyrap's movement, it is necessary to take into account the effect of the above-mentioned forces of attached masses, proportional to accelerations of elements of the buoyrap.
Deepwater cable, buoyrap, catenary curve, tug circulation, hydrodynamic resistance, forces of attached masses, finite segment cable model, computer simulation.
Leont'ev, V. and Smolnikov, B. (2018). Computer simulation of dynamics of underwater cable with load at the end. Robotics and Technical Cybernetics, 3(20), pp.61-67.
- Winget, J.M., and Huston, R.L. (1976). Cable dynamics – a finite segment approach. Computers & Structures, 6, pp. 475-480.
- Huston, R.L., and Kamman, J.W. (1982). Validation of finite segment cable models. Computers & Structures, 15(6), pp. 653-660.
- Kudryavtsev, N.F. (1979). Teoriya i Raschet Ravnovesiya Okeanograficheskikh Izmeritelnykh Sistem [Theory and Equiblirium Calculation for Oceanographic Measuring Systems]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, p. 232. (in Russian)
- Kulmach, P.P. (1980). Yakornyye Sistemy Uderzhaniya Plavuchikh Obyektov [Anchored Systems for Station Keeping of Floating Objects]. Leningrad: Sudostroyeniye, p. 335. (in Russian)
- Berteaux, H.O. (1976). Buoy Engineering. New York: Wiley Interscience. (in Russian)
- Korotkin, A.I. (2007). Prisoyedinennyye Massy Sudostroitelnykh Konstruktsiy. Spravochnik [Attached Masses of Shipbuilding Structures. Handbook]. S. Petersburg: Mor West, p. 447. (in Russian)
- Birkhoff, G.D. (1961). Hydrodynamics. A study in Logic, Fact, and Similitude. 2nd ed. Abb. Princeton: Princeton University Press. (in Russian)